Hello Team Owners,
Here are some final notes before the draft….
- What’s your team name? If you come up with a name before Friday, we can help you create your own helmet, if you like! Or, ESPN has a variety of images so you can make one on the fly! This can all be done when you log into your team on the ESPN site.
- Owner Fees are due on Draft Day by 1PM.There is an envelope at the bar or see Barbara R (treasurer) to pay early.Please, just make contact if you are running late to confirm. If for any reason you will not be participating, it is important you let us know, at least, 2 hours before the Draft so that we have time to re-structure the league in the computer and the draft can go on as scheduled. There will be a $20 PENALTY for any owner that causes the draft to be delayed and/or your team may be forfeited.
- “Auto-selecting” Some owners are going to let the computer do all their drafting and weekly matchups for them, this year. I added myself as a co-owner to those teams just to make sure the draft and week 1 matchups run smoothly for them, as this is our first year with the espn software.
- The ESPN software makes a ‘suggestion’ of who your team should draft when you are ‘on the clock’ (90 seconds to choose). If any owner fails to make a selection in that 90 seconds, the top suggested player is automatically chosen. To speed up the draft a bit, the teams that have committed to auto-selecting, we will just go ahead and select that player without waiting the 90 seconds.
- If you are doing your own drafting (AWESOME!), remember, don’t just plan on picking the players you want because they might not be available if somebody else gets them before you! We will be selecting 2xQB, 3xRB, 4xWR, 2xTE, 2xTeam Defense/Special Teams, and 2x Kickers. That’s 15 selections you will be making in the draft! So for example, with 12 teams…there will be 24 quarterbacks selected overall in the draft. Therefore, your list of QBs to select should be at least 24 names long in the order you think they are valuable! Hint: you cross off the players you didn’t get as the draft progresses. If you have any questions or want any guidance about drafting, find Fernando around the bar. He has been playing Fantasy football for decades and is a great source of knowledge on draft strategies.
- Post 92 opens at 9am Sunday. If you have any questions, want to make any suggestions, need help, come in before the draft. Chris Holden and S.A.L. are going to have the kitchen open with a special selection for our draft.
- The first NFL regular season game is Thursday, Sept 6 (Falcons VS Eagles). I’m not sure if it is necessary to do a blind bid this first week, before that. Will get everyone’s consensus. However, if you have drafted players on either the Falcons or Eagles, your first games will begin! So I will get post-draft info out on how matchups work by Monday or Tuesday.
- Finally, join us for the DRAFT AFTER-PARY…7:30 PM #8 Miami Hurricanes -vs- #25 LSU.
We are now a little over 5 days from our 2018 Inaugural Post 92 Pigskin Classic Fantasy Football Draft and the excitement is at an all-time high! What great NFL players will be leading your team to victory every week? Will it be Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Todd Gurley? Who you gonna’ pick when you’re on the clock, BUBBA?!?
Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 1PM. If you can, please come by a little earlier, as this is our first year, just to make sure all questions are answered and everything runs smoothly (Post 92 opens at 9AM). The draft is computerized and starts at 1PM, we cannot stop this. If you are late, you selections will be made by the computer until you arrive (unless you are on a device making selections somewhere else).
If you are going to let the computer software make your selections for you (based on ESPN’s expert analysis), you need only sit back with a nice cool refreshing (and, may I add, low cost) beverage from Post 92 and enjoy the show. But, if you have been getting ready, comparing players, and creating a draft list, we are doing what is called a “Snake (or Serpentine) Draft”. Personally, I don’t know why they call it this as I don’t see any relationship to the look of a snake, but here is how it works:
Our league is using the following positions (quantity): Quarterbacks (2), Running Backs (3), Wide Receivers (4), Tight Ends (2), Entire Defense/Special Teams (2), and Kickers (2). Therefore, there will be 15 rounds (15 selections). About an hour before the draft, the ESPN computer will select a random drafting order. Starting with the first round you may be selecting anywhere between 1 and 12 (assuming we have 12 teams, each team selects). Say you are chosen to make the 2nd selection of round one -THEN- in round two, you will select #11. The person who selects last in round one with the #12 pick, will then select #1 in round two. Vice versa, the person who selects 1st overall in round one may get that dream player, but they are also going to be waiting a while until the 12th pick of round 2! It goes back and forth for equality.
Selections can be made over your own computer/device on ESPN’s website (which you can follow along anywhere) -or- if you are with us at Post 92, Player Control (Chris) can enter your selection for you. With each selection in the draft you have 90 seconds to decide. If you fail to make a selection in the 90 seconds, the computer will select for you. If you are having Player Control enter the pick for you, please be a little more prompt and do not take the entire 90 seconds to make a selection as I will need to verbally hear it from you, then search for the player myself before time expires!
Whether you are with us at the Post, or drafting on your computer, here is what the draft board (will be on the television that normally has our post 92 officers and events) will look like:
And here is a link to ESPN’s more thorough explanation of the Serpentine draft which also has more technical information:
If you have any questions, leave a reply here, email me, ask in the group text. Don’t wait until the day of the draft if you are unsure of something. With a league full of new fantasy players, there’s a good possibility somebody else might have the same question. 🙂
Welcome to the 2018-2019 Inaugural
Post 92 Pigskin Classic Fantasy Football League
ESPN portal for owners:
Our 12 Inaugural Team Owners:
Commander Richard and Mary Alice
Marry U (1/3 of Competition Committee)
Barbara R and Nick R (Barbara R is treasurer)
Fernando/Josh H (2/3 of Competition Committee)
Chris N (Player Control)
Here are the suggested positions and scoring rules. We will finalize all scoring rules at our Fantasy Draft, scheduled for Sunday September 2nd at 1PM. Please discuss below in the comments section. Comments will appear shortly after submission, as approved (to prevent spam).
Note: The S.A.L. will be offering a limited menu on draft day (full Sunday Football menu returns September 9), with limited selection on Women’s Aux Monthly Breakfast day.
Players can be changed/substituted up to one hour before their ‘real’ NFL game time by contacting Player Control (Bartender Chris)
Positions. Your “starters” are the players you select to get you points in your weekly matchups based on how they perform in their real NFL games. Your backup is not used once them or your starters real NFL game begins.
Quarterback (x 2 on your roster, 1 starter, 1 backup)
Example: Tom Brady (Patriots), Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins)
Running Back (x 3 on your roster, 2 starters, 1 backup)
Example: Le’Veon Bell (Steelers), Todd Gurley (LA Rams)
Wide Receiver (x 4 on your roster, 3 starter, 1 backup)
Example: Antonio Brown (Steelers), Julio Jones (Falcons), Micheal Thomas (Saints)
Tight End (x 2 on your roster, 1 starter, 1 backup)
Example: Bob Gronkowski (Patriots), Travis Kelce (Chiefs)
Defense/Special Teams (x 2 on your roster, 1 starter, 1 backup)
Example: New York Giants, Oakland Raiders
Kicker (x 2 on your roster, 1 starter, 1 backup)
Example: Matt Bryant (Falcons), Josh Lambo (Jaguars)
Injured Reserve: 1 ($2.00, put player on IR)
Scoring: (the numbers are points). Again, these are suggestions..we will finalize all scoring rules on draft day.
|Team Defense / Special Teams||
Join us every Sunday and do battle with friends! Post 92 has the NFL Ticket & 5 Televisions* to follow your players live! Early, Afternoon, & Evening Games**! Low cost food during the season. Free Wifi..bring your laptops/devices. Real Time League scoreboard
Draft Day is Sunday, September 2rd, 2018!
What is Fantasy Football?
Fantasy Football is a competition in which participants (Owners) create “fantasy teams” which draft and acquire real NFL players. Each week, team owners have individual games against each other. You score points based on the actual performance of your players in their real NFL games. The winners of each game are the teams with the most points at the conclusion of the real NFL week (usually at the end of Monday Night Football).
The fun includes Draft Sunday where all owners will get together and draft their team’s players. Come prepared, you will be on the clock to choose! Weekly bidding wars on cut and un-drafted players will follow!
Can’t commit to every week? Draft your team, then take your chances and put your lineup on autopilot! Some of the best Fantasy Owners are those that have a good draft and leave things be!
● End of year prizes build with weekly free agent BIDDING WARS and $2 Losses
● Season Prizes split among top 4 teams with best records
● % goes to American Legion Post 92 Raise the Roof
● Manage your team online (players, trades, lineups, waivers, stats, team profile, everything!) Non-Computer users, we will always be happy to help!
*Miami Dolphins games will always have first priority on the main TV from beginning to end. If more games airing then televisions available, bartender will decide based on majority interest.
Join us Sunday, March 11, 2018 for St. Patrick’s Day. Post 92 members will be taking part in Downtown Hollywood’s 20th Annual Parade, starting at 1PM, around the Downtown/Young Circle area. Then, come party ’till you’re green with Veterans, friends, and family at Post 92! Low cost drinks, food, and much more!
Sunday Hours 10am – 8pm